2011-12-01



A highly practical medium telephoto lens with superb delineation and portability, the Canon EF 85mm lens produces sharp and clear images at all apertures. Through computer simulations, the lens has been designed to give beautiful background blur, thereby bringing your subject into crisp view. The ring-type ultra-sonic monitor (USM) and fast f/1.8 aperture, meanwhile, helps the subject zip into focus in the viewfinder. And because the front lens group does not rotate during focusing, special filter effects are not affected. Best of all, the standard zoom lens--with its natural angle of view and perspective--captures the subject plainly, making it excellent for portraits and images that require a natural depth of field. As with all Canon lenses, the lens carries a one-year warranty.



I just bought two high quality lenses for my Digital Rebel and what a difference this makes over the kit lens which I wish I hadn't bought. I bought this one mostly for indoor and outdoor portraits of my kids and dogs. It is just amazing! I was surprised by how much difference a good lens can make. I've been playing around and I took tons of shots of my kids today and the portraits are amazingly clear with GREAT background blur -- I feel like a pro. If you use the aperature priority setting and play around, you'll see that you too can make professional level background blur even if you barely know what you are doing (this would be me). In short, invest in a good lens. Don't forget to multiply the focal length by 1.6 if you have a digital canon camera -- 85 mm is really 135mm or so, really a telephoto type lens. Great for portraits!

I recently bought this lens amid trepidation that the 85mm focal length would overwhelm the x1.6 crop factor of my Digital Rebel XL. My worries were needless: just a step or two back from the subject plus some getting used to the telephoto perspective were enough to turn this lens into the most effective portrait lens that I have. When attached to my EOS Elan 7n film camera, however, the lens really truly comes into its own, as the full frame 35mm SLR delivers the entire focal range of this lens. The focused image is incredibly crisp compared to any other non-L grade lens. And I agree that this lens deserves the red ring of courage around it, like the L lenses have. This glass is absolutely essential in a very short list of affordable lenses, and should give many of the non-affordable ones a run for their money. Solidly built too, with an old-fashioned no-nonsense look to it. I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment